Sony KDSR60XBR1, KDSR50XBR1 Reviews

Info worthy of your attention!
Richard
SUPER VIP!

Sony KDSR60XBR1, KDSR50XBR1 Reviews

Postby Richard » 19 Nov 2005, 18:36

This TV is the talk of the town!

In this review we find a very nice grayscale response. ANSI Contrast Ratio
Last edited by Richard on 20 Nov 2005, 10:11, edited 1 time in total.
Mastertech Repair Corporation
My Audio and Video Systems
"Inspect what you expect!" US Marine Corps

mjm76
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Postby mjm76 » 19 Nov 2005, 21:44

Richard,

Thanks for this great post! I have been reading up on this display and I am seriously considering getting one. They seem to be hard to come by though. My nearest Circuit City just e-mailed me today to inform me that they now have these back in stock. The first ones sold quickly.

If I do indeed get this display I will post my thoughts on it. BTW: If I do get this display I will certainly call Doug(STL) from ClearlyResolved to come and calibrate this set for me.

Thanks again........................ :D

Mike

mjm76
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Postby mjm76 » 21 Nov 2005, 15:51

Here is another review of this TV from Cnet.

STORY LINK

Richard
SUPER VIP!

Postby Richard » 21 Nov 2005, 18:36

Thanks MJM76 for that link.

Things are pulling together.

They also said the color decoder was accurate so it likely is. Note though that the primaries are not so you still won't get critical viewing color accuracy. Also they rated the primaries based on HDTV not SMPTE like the last group. Cnet did a better job on that level but I still would have liked a color gamut chart with the results plotted!

As typical feeding 480P into the display gave decent results far better than the internal scaler for 480I signals. That is good news for those seeking an inexpensive external scaling solution with additional features like a DVD recorder or a full blown scaler.

Key point is the 1X1 pixel mapping passed with a 1080I source!

Overscan at 2.5%. Wow. That's the best yet for an RPTV application!

I have heard through the grapevine the Gamma is 2.3 average but again no chart... Gamma was not covered in the Cnet review.

It would seem we have a partial hit! Based on everything I am hearing the Sony is the RPTV to have for lamp based digital display technology at this time! If Samsung would provide a firmware update bringing us back to the control/feature set of the last years HLPxx63 series plus a fixed ON position for the dynamic iris it would be prefferred over the Sony!

That said we would prefer a full set of control/features to meet video standards and to also compensate for source errors which are a reality that has to be dealt with for accurate imaging. On that level the Sony still is lacking...

blat

Sony KDSR60XBR1, KDS50XBR1 Reviews

Postby blat » 28 Nov 2005, 17:29

Richard,

Here is another review on the Sony:

http://www.guidetohometheater.com/rearp ... /1105sony/

And a question too please! I'm confused about the practical significance of a lack of 1080p inputs on this set. Several reviewers have dead panned it as a non issue "since this set will upconvert to 1080p anyway".

When 1080p source material is available and HD DVD players have HDMI connectors capable of sending the material through to the set, will this Sony go black and display nothing or will it downconvert to 1080i and then back to 1080p? Or is this much about nothing?

Thanks

Richard
SUPER VIP!

Postby Richard » 28 Nov 2005, 18:43

Thank you for that link.

The issue with accepting 1080P is this:
This is native 1080P so the best response will be had when feeding the display a 1080P signal. This display will not accept a 1080P signal, it must be 1080I. Essentially you are forced to use the internal scaler on the display regardless. Not so bad if the internal scaling is up to snuff but what if it isn

blat

Sony KDSR60XBR1, KDS50XBR1 Reviews

Postby blat » 29 Nov 2005, 18:16

Thank you for your thorough response, Richard. I have to agree that it's hard to justify purchasing a 1080p set that doesn't accept that signal.

My next question was going to be then which sets do accept and display at 1080p ? But, I see from the earlier posts about 1080p at CNet there are essentially no such sets at this time.

Kinda looks like "high def" is a "moving target" that we'll never reach. Oh well, guess it's just part of what keeps all us gearheads consuming high tech stuff and running after the holy grail.

Guess a guy has just gotta figure the pros and cons of a set, make a decision, and then ride it awhile until the next "big thing" comes along.

Thanks again!

Richard
SUPER VIP!

Postby Richard » 30 Nov 2005, 06:49

Kinda looks like "high def" is a "moving target" that we'll never reach.

Not at all but it does take patience. There will be true 1080P next year. The rumor mill claims the problem was due to the HDMI standards not being fully in place for 1080P which is difficult to believe... it's just a scan rate and HDMI is supposed to be fully ATSC compatible covering 1080P 30 and 24 frame sources.

All of this is part and parcel of what we have seen since it all began...

nikozan

Postby nikozan » 04 Apr 2011, 22:40

Playing games on Sony KDSR60XBR1 it makes screen shorte. How make it wider ?
[size=0]vision correction[/size][size=0]косоглазие[/size][size=0]http://medinfobooks.ru/[/size]

eliwhitney
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Postby eliwhitney » 08 Apr 2011, 05:17

Re: SONY Manual ...

One way is to use that Sony Remote to access the Internal Menu which will come up on display ... also in your manual.

eli

p.s. - "how come" you dug up such a very ancient "Thread?" ..for that matter, A huge "Congratulations!" .... you must have one of the very few such sets that STILL works at all .... the majority "died" & have gone to E-waste long, long ago!

Return to “Other great Reviews and Articles”